Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Some bad news...some good news.

Mel had a hard time sleeping last night so she was really tired. The doctor visited with her today. We found out that none of us siblings are donor matches (that's the bad news). We are all half matches. We were all really bummed out about that. There are 4 donors in the national registry who are perfect matches, that is amazing! Who would have thought that a perfect stranger could be a match over a sibling. There are 2 international matches and two domestic matches. They are contacting the international donors first, I guess less red tape? We are all hoping that the donors will be able and willing to follow through. We will keep you posted. Mel received good news about her blood counts. Everything is up and she now has 100 Neutrophils, she need 500 to have the possibility of leaving the hospital for a couple of days. The doctor said that the levels don't usually come up this quickly...the power of prayer! Thank you everyone!

Mel had two visitor today. Our aunt Heidi visited a long with Shari Carling. Shari brought Mel a keyboard, a Reader's Digest Christmas Songbook and hymnal. Thank you so much!! This will be great therapy for Mel's soul. She has always used the piano as a way to escape. I know she is so appreciative and it will get lots of use.

Melanie has received lots of cards from members of her ward. We hang all of her cards up so she can have a reminder of all of the people who love her and are rooting for her. All of the prayers, thoughts, well wishes, cards and gifts means so much to all of us, thank you!

Mel wanted me to post these pictures from the last few days. The captions under the pics are from her.

Kate, my dear friend from work.


One of my best friends Jen delivering all those wonderful hats, scarfs, bandanas, and Mary Tyler Moore DVD sets.


This is the hat Caesy - Jen's daughter picked out for me.


Greg trying on one of the hats and scarfs I got from Jen.


Flowers sent from Keith and Nancy.


Shari Carling was my wonderful visitor today who brought me a keyboard and Reader's Digest Merry Christmas Songbook to help pass the time.






My dear friend from work Rebecca Olsen.


Theo will kill me if this is posted, but I love her and this picture.


Looking at the Sunshine Book from Providence Elementary.

10 comments:

Kerren said...

Can I just say: "I LOVE THIS BLOG!"
The words are wonderful, and the photos fill in the gaps! You're all doing an amazing job of helping us stay connected as our prayers and constant thoughts stay with all of you. THANK YOU! You really look great, Mel! See you soon. Love, Kerren

Theo said...

Only for you Mel :) Love you too!

Its Time to Live said...

"The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache." — Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Jamie Younker said...

Hi Melanie! I know we don't know each other that well seeing as I'm new to Providence Elementary this year, but I just wanted to let you know I've been thinking about you and praying for you. I love this blog- I think you are an inspiration! And you really look great! (P.S. LOVE the hats!)

Joel's Family said...

Love the hats as well. You are surrounded by a HUGE SUPPORT SYSTEM. I love the picture of you smiling looking at the sunshine book. So great. Thanks for keeping us all posted on how you are doing. We are all praying and hoping you can get that donor very soon.

Katie @ katieboothinteriors said...

Melanie,
It is so great to read your blog and keep updated. I am so glad your levels are up! Horray! It sounds like you have the neatest family and friends, what a great support! Will prays for you every night and his little brother prays for "Miss Melamie" to get better also. You are missed!

Jullie said...

Melanie, you look beautiful! I am so glad that things are going well. I hope that these matches will lead to a donor. You are missed at work. We'll continue to pray for you and your family.

Soto family said...

Okinawa Mel!
I'm saving my money for when you're better-- I think we should travel to Okinawa. Just to buy a real live postcard! :)
Love your gutz!

Heidi Hartley said...

Melanie,
It's nice to hear your good news and hopefully a donor will work out soon. The keyboard is such a great idea for you! And you are stinkin' cute in your hats! I so admire you Melanie. Keep being strong!

Les said...

Mel, I love all the hats on you! I also love that you read those trashy tabloid magazines too! Now I don't feel so bad about setting up camp at Wal-Mart and devouring them every week! haha!