Thursday, December 3, 2009

Another Day

Today started out good. Melanie's blood counts were up, and she was able to go walking and do some leg exercises. Rocky, the PT, was happy when he showed up, because she had already accomplished what he was there for. Way to go Mel! The doctor talked to my mom a little more about the donor. He said that 4-5 years ago, it would have been hard to find a stranger who would be a perfect match. However, now they are able to get down to a molecular level, so a perfect stranger can be as good a match as a sibling. That is great!

At 6:30 tonight, Melanie started a fever. They said it is not uncommon for someone to get a fever, when they are having chemo. They did some cultures to make sure it is not an infection of any kind. They will know the results tomorrow. Melanie took some Tylenol, and the fever went down. Hopefully, it will stay down! Tomorrow she has another lumbar puncture. They are going to do conscious sedation, so we are praying it will be a better experience then the last few. They are also going to give her some fluid tonight so she will not be dehydrated like last time, and they will be able to get some spinal fluid easier.

Melanie's aunt Arlene and cousin Tricia came to visit her today. I'm sure it was a great visit. They are both such amazing people! It was when she had her fever, so no pictures where taken. They brought Mel a really cute, quilted bag that had a nativity scene on it. It was full of CD's, books, movies, and some chocolate cinnamon bears. Do you hear that Kim?! Maybe now she will share with you. :)

Good luck on the LP tomorrow, Melanie! Our thoughts and prayers will be for a quick and easy experience. LOVE YOU!!

4 comments:

Alean said...

I think it's awful that your Fridays are riddled with Lumbar punctures. Not that any day would be great for that, but it just seems like more of a "Monday" miserable activity. Yikes! Hang in there.-Alean

Cami said...

I have been thinking about you a lot today. I hope your fever stays down. I will be praying that your Lumbar Puncture is a better experience. Things are going well here, we will start packing soon. All my love dear sis!

Darlene said...

Hi Mel, Just sending you lots of love ... I'll hold you tight in my heart while you go through the LP tomorrow. Stay strong. You are such a blessing in my life. Darlene

Shanna said...

Hi Melanie-
I will be in the area tomorrow (Saturday, December 5) and would love to come for a short visit if you are up to it. I will try to call tomorrow to see if I can get connected to your room. If not, Theo has my cell number. HANG IN THERE :)--- Shanna Guymon