Thursday, December 17, 2009

Bone marrow biopsy

Wow, I knew my sister was strong, but watching her today, I realized just how much. The biopsy was pretty painful. Melanie was so brave! I was with her when she had it. She held her worry stones tight. I watched as they did several shots to numb her and then use this devise to bore through her bone to draw out some marrow and a piece of her bone. I felt so sorry for her. It was quite an ordeal. I could tell that there were some really painful moments. She did GREAT though! As you can imagine she was pretty tired and spent after that. She is so very thankful for everyone's thoughts and prayers. I know all the words of encouragement go a long way. So we should we know tomorrow what the next phase of her journey will be. We will keep you all posted.

Her counts are continuing to go up. Her platelets were at 142,000 (8,000 below normal), and she had 300 neutraphils. That is some good news. The doctors are pleased with how the numbers are going. Keep it up Mel!

Get some sleep my dear sister........ You are so brave & inspiring! Keep up your fight! We are all behind you! I love you!

8 comments:

Kerren said...

I've been anxiously awaiting the news of today's tests. . . along with all of your "fans." We are continually amazed and inspired by your courage, Melanie! This whole experience is new and astounding. Who would have thought just a few weeks ago when we were "sweating the small stuff" that at Christmas time, we'd have such a new perspective on what's really important? YOU are, and YOUR HEALTH is! Much Love, Kerren

Cami said...

Mel is so blessed to have you there Kim. I'm sure it was a huge comfort to her.

Mel, you are always in my thoughts and prayers. I have been praying for you in my heart all day today!

The blood counts are awesome!! I'm thrilled that your platelets are finally up so high...it all of those prayers and you fighting the nasties!! I love you sooooo much!

angie said...

My shot was absolutely nothing compared to what you had to endure. You are courageous! I love you!!

Monica said...

Sending you love and support.... you are on my heart and in my prayers.

Darlene said...

Melanie, I am so amazed at your strength. Keep getting better and stronger. You are an inspiration and I stand in agreement that by HIS stripes, you are healed.
I am maintaining a fast in solidarity with you.
I pray that those neutrophils keep growing and tht the numbers you need manifest daily.

LOve to you,

Darlene

Jana said...

You are always in my prayers and never out of my thoughts..

Scentinel said...

Melanie,
You are doing so awesome, and I love the hats. They make me smile. You and Kaden are in my thoughts and prayers everyday. I have had two trips planned to come and visit with you and bring cards from Max and Lucy. One trip two weeks ago was cancelled because I had a cold, and I was coming down today, but now I woke up with a sore throat. I will keep my germs to myself!!! Please know that my family is praying for you everyday. You are doing awesome and we love you.
Marcie

Rebecca H. said...

My son Isaac would like to send a card. Could you email me where to send it please.

rjhaacke@gmail.com

Thanks, Rebecca