Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Home Away From Home

Hi everybody! It's Mom (Peggy),
We were supposed to do the blog yesterday, but we took a break as well as Mel's sisters. Sometimes a break is in order. Melanie did a lot of sleeping yesterday and I did a weeks worth of laundry as well as a bathroom cleaning. We have to be really careful to keep things sanitized and germ-free for Mel. We went to the clinic this morning at 10:40. Melanie had her blood draws, talked to the PA, Charlie, and then had a good talk with Dr. Asch. Melanie's counts have been climbing again. Her white blood count is at 3.1. Her hematocrit is 30.2. Her platelets are 60,000. Her neutrophils are 2.5. These numbers probably don't mean anything to a lot of you, but Dr. Asch was so excited! Melanie talked to her about going home to Hyde Park. Kaden is having a harder time leaving each Sunday night. It's been a long time since he's been with his mom for a long period of time. A thirteen year old needs his mother. Dr. Asch is having the PA check in for a place that can do her blood draws and home healthcare to provide supplies for her central line and any IV supplies she might need. The usual time to leave if there isn't any graft versus host disease is 100 days from transplant. That date would be May 17th. She is on one immunosuppressant, Tacrolimis. This can be tapered off when the time is right. It has to be checked often so this is one of the reasons for staying close. We'll be glad when she can stop some of this drug because it causes BAD tremor in her hands. Her writing is like an old woman. She hasn't been able to write any thank you cards for a long time. SORRY EVERYONE. Just know that all you've done and are doing is so appreciated by Melanie. She just can't reply right now. Tomorrow we go back to the Bone Marrow Clinic to have her Tacro level checked. Friday we go in again to have blood levels checked. Tuesday we go for a clinic visit with the doctor. We're hoping for permission for Melanie to go home for the garage sale on May 1st. She will have to wear her mask and gloves. She won't be able to stay for a long amount of time, but we're hoping she can make an appearance! She tires quickly and has to be careful with large crowds of people. It will be nice to be back in good ole Hyde Park. It might not be for good yet. She has to go to the clinic at least once a week. We just have to play the patience game. We're used to that. Time to go to bed.

Love to all of you,
Peggy

4 comments:

The Jensens said...

Wonderful News!!

Miss Nelson said...

Hooray! What exciting news! Hang in there, Mel. You have so many people praying for you. Hope to see you at the fundraiser!

Kimbies said...

Great post Mom! :) I am so glad to hear that things are starting to go in trhe right direction. I know you guys are anxious to be back in Hyde Park for Dad & Kaden. And just to be back home in general! I love you guys and will see you soon. Looks like I will be able to get there for the fundraiser. :) I will keep you posted. LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

Dilemma said...

Hello Dear Friends,

My brother and sister pointed me to this blog and I'm so glad they did! I have very fond memories of times I spent with all of you during my childhood. You were an important part of my life and there is a special place for you in my heart. As I read the April posts on this blog, I could feel the love you have for each other, and it truly made me miss you. I'm so glad you are such a tight-knit family. What a blessing you are for each other, and what a blessing you are for the generations who see your beautiful examples of love.

My heart aches for your pain and frustrations, Melanie. I am so glad to hear that things are looking up for you. You and your cute son are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you!

Peggy, I just can't even explain the surge of love I felt when I saw the beautiful picture of you and LeRoy on this blog. You are a beautiful person, both inside and out, and I am blessed by your example. Many moons ago, you taught several silly 4-H girls how to crack eggs in your kitchen. Your smile, your patience, and your love is forever embedded in my heart.

Greg was just a little tike when I hung out at your home. (A little tike who preferred to wear only undies, if I remember right, heehee. Shirts were tied around the neck to create a superhero cape, and pants just got in the way of flying.) I am amazed to see him all grown up in the birthday picture--and fully clothed. :) Wow! Greg looks so much like I remember LeRoy looking when I was a kid. Very cool!

Kim, I don't think you realized how much I looked up to you. I absolutely loved it when you were home at the same time that Cami and I played...which wasn't very often. You were a busy teenager! I always wished I had a big sister and thought that Cami, Angie, and Melanie were very lucky.

Cami and Angie, I love you! It's so fun to see pictures of you all grown up, yet looking as young as ever. I saw a couple of pictures of little girls who look just like you two when you were little. How fun that must be!

This beautiful blog, full of love, has brought back a rush of memories. I'm here in Tremonton cheering for you all and praying not only for a silver lining on this cloudy trial you're facing, but also for a rainbow. Your love is the sunshine that will make the colors appear.

I'm going to see what I can donate for your fundraiser. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance with the fundraiser or anything else.

You are loved!

Diana Murphy-Owen